Saturday 20 July 2013

let the Lord be your light

Rudely awakened from a deep sleep by our border collie, Jasper. Startled by his black and white face, illuminated by the flash of light in the bedroom - suddenly looming over my own in the darkness. He sat perched on the narrow ledge of bed, between me and the edge, almost on my face! Panting, nearly hyperventilating. Eyes bulging in fear of the lightning and thunder raging outside.

It is the second time in three days that this has happened. The older he gets, the more terrified he becomes of the storm outside.

Whispering words of reassurance, hugging him tightly to my body, in the hope of calming Him down. But the more I try to console him - apparently completely unaware of my attempts - he seems to be growing ever more frantic. Restlessly moving about the bed and over me. All hope of sleep abandoned. 

Until I manage to hold him down on his side, in my arms. Soothing. Stroking. He hesitantly gives in. Sighs and lays down his head. Calmed somewhat.

I find myself thinking that sometimes I must make God feel this way.  

He knows what is good for me. He planned my life long in advance. He knows what is coming. And what is not.
(Psalm 138:16)

But still - I struggle ahead with my own plans, frantically searching. Trying to make things fit. To calm my mind, my soul. And the more He tries to draw me close, to bring me near, to give me rest... The more I struggle and strain! Fighting for control. 

And I find the Spirit urging me to read the story about the lost sheep again. (Luke 15:3-7)

I have read it countless times. I know it by heart. But still the gentle nudge...
































The essence is this:

If even one of His children is lost to Him, to the life He gives - in the dark and afraid of the storm. Lost in the desert, the wilderness of this world, of their own mistakes - wandering away from Him. He will go to the ends of the earth to find you. At all costs. By all means. He will carry you tenderly and bring you back to Him. Never giving up on you. Regardless of what you have done. Of what you did not. Finding joy in your return. Celebrating. Rejoicing.

The following day I read this scripture in Isaiah. Oh, how easily we stray!

“What sorrow awaits my rebellious children,” says the Lord. “You make plans that are contrary to mine. You make alliances not directed by my Spirit, thus piling up your sins. This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength." So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help. (Isaiah 30:1,15,18 NLT)

Like the son, lost to his father, we must come back to God. Asking for forgiveness. Humble in regret. (Luke 15:11-32)

God says that He will be gracious if you ask for His help. He will respond to your cries and you will weep no more. Even though He allows the hard times. The difficult ones. He will still be with you to teach you. (Isaiah 30:19-20)

Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left. (Isaiah 30:21 NLT)

We have to learn to be sensitive to that still small voice. To be patient. To wait.

As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me... For though I fall, I will rise again. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light... The Lord will bring me into the light, and I will see his righteousness. (Micah 7:7-9 NLT)


The Word repeatedly urges us to be strong and courageous. To not be afraid or discouraged. Because there is a power "far greater" on our side. Greater than the harm any human can do. Greater than any problems or health issues we may face. Greater than the circumstances that may seem so overwhelming. Because we have the Lord our God to help us. To fight our battles for us! (2 Chronicles 32:7-8)



originally written for the blog Space for Grace