Monday 17 February 2014

is anything too hard or too wonderful for the Lord?

Every so often I read through some of my old blog posts. It reminds me of why I do this. Of the spiritual truths and revelations I have come across in my journey of faith. But it also assists in taking stock of my life. To me, it reads like an emotional and spiritual diary. Where I have come from, where I am now. Where I have backslided, where I have overcome.

Oh, I definitely have my favourites. Ironically, most of them, the hardest to write. Through the most challenging of times. 

There is decidedly a central theme running through most of my blog posts. I guess it is just the season I have been going through. I am hoping that this season is coming to an end. That this year, my blog posts will be a little less serious. A little more lighthearted. 

Less challenge and difficulty. More breakthrough and happiness.

But that doesn't mean that it should not be about faith. 

Life challenges test and try our faith. But they also extend and deepen it. It is where God's grace lifts us up, gives us the ability to endure, empowers us to overcome. 

And in happier times, we are filled with gratitude - looking back at where we have come from. In awe of God's faithfulness - that is so much more than we could have hoped or dared ask for. (Ephesians 3:20)

It makes me think of Abraham. For some reason I have had the father of our faith on my mind for months. I have been noticing how often he is mentioned throughout the Bible, especially in the new testament. This man must have been exceptional for him to be given that much exposure in the Word of God...

Abraham is such a powerful example of obedience and faithfulness to God in the face of incredible challenge, uncertainty and doubt. 






Abraham (then Abram)'s story starts to unfold in the chapters of Genesis - already at the advanced age of 75 (Sarah/Sarai would have been 65) - when God asked him to leave his home and country and set off into the unknown, to a foreign land that He would give to him as his inheritance. That must have seemed like absolute madness to anyone who had known Abram. I can imagine that it must have caused quite the scene. Nevertheless, Abram obeyed. 

God made many promises to Abram - abounding blessings, including property, possessions, fame and fortune, prosperity and happiness - which he all seemingly aquired straight away. God also repeatedly promised Abram and Sarai a child. To make him a "great nation" (Gen. 12:2), descendants as many as "the dust on the earth" (Gen. 13:16), as the "stars in the heavens" (Gen. 15:5).

At the age of 99, that must have seemed so cruel. Before Genesis even starts telling the story of Abram and Sarai, it is stated that Sarai was barren. She had no child (Gen. 11:30). That she had borne Abram no children (Gen. 16:1). That she was too old. Past the age of childbearing (Gen. 18:11-12).

But Abram believed:

And He brought him outside [his tent into the starlight] and said, Look now toward the heavens and count the stars–if you are able to number them. Then He said to him, So shall your descendants be. [Heb. 11:12.] And he [Abram] believed in (trusted in, relied on, remained steadfast to) the Lord, and He counted it to him as righteousness (right standing with God). [Rom. 4:3, 18-22; Gal. 3:6; James 2:23.] (Genesis 15:5, 6 AMP)

Still - even after God established His covenant with Abram, who then became Abraham (father of a multitude), his wife Sarai (now Sarah) and their descendants - they had no child. Both Abraham and Sarah laughed at the very thought of becoming first time parents at the ages of 100 and 90 (Gen. 17-18). It does seem a bit far fetched, doesn't it?

Many women today can associate with Sarah's story. At the age of 34, having not yet been able to have a child myself (due to various reasons), I can only begin to imagine how Sarah must have felt. It must have seemed like there is no way it would ever happen. Being a mother is the most natural and ultimate higher calling to any woman. Being childless could (if unchecked) so easily become an all consuming obsession that eats away at our very purpose of being on this earth. 

But God says to Abraham, in Genesis 18:14 (AMP): 

Is anything too hard or too wonderful for the Lord? At the appointed time, when the season [for her delivery] comes around, I will return to you and Sarah shall have borne a son. [Matt. 19:26.] (Genesis 18:14 AMP)

Finally, in Genesis 21 - at the age of 90 - Sarah becomes a mother!

The Lord visited Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for her as He had promised. For Sarah became pregnant and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time God had told him. (Genesis 21:1, 2 AMP)

Ironically, God had told Abraham to call his son Isaac - which means "laughter" (Gen. 17:19).

And Sarah said, God has made me to laugh; all who hear will laugh with me. And she said, Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children at the breast? For I have borne him a son in his old age! [Heb. 11:12.] (Genesis 21:6, 7 AMP)

Like Sarah (more sceptical than Abraham), I too am almost surprised when God (in His time) does eventually come through on a promise. Especially if it is one that I have given up on. That I have started thinking I must have imagined. Or misunderstood. But God is always faithful. When He makes a promise, He intends to keep it - how ever long it may take to be fulfilled.

And then the unthinkable happens:

After these events, God tested and proved Abraham and said to him, Abraham! And he said, Here I am. [God] said, Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah; and offer him there as a burnt offering upon one of the mountains of which I will tell you. (Genesis 22:1, 2 AMP)

This son - for whom Abraham and Sarah had waited for a 100 years, whom they had barely had a chance to enjoy, who had hardly lived and was the only hope for their descendents - God asked him to sacrifice. And he even expected Abraham to do it himself.

This seems like way too much to ask. What was he expected to tell the people around him? His wife? His son?

God let him go as far as building an altar, laying it with wood, binding up his son and laying him on it. Only when he took hold of the knife and was just about to kill his son - he was really going to go through with it - did the Angel of the Lord stop him:

But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, Abraham, Abraham! He answered, Here I am. And He said, Do not lay your hand on the lad or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear and revere God, since you have not held back from Me or begrudged giving Me your son, your only son. (Genesis 22:11-12 AMP)

And when Abraham looked up, there was a ram caught in a bush. The Lord had provided the lamb to be slaughtered instead of his son - like Abraham had told Isaac that He would. And Abraham called the place "The Lord will provide" (Gen. 22:7-8, 13-14).

The Angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time And said, I have sworn by Myself, says the Lord, that since you have done this and have not withheld [from Me] or begrudged [giving Me] your son, your only son, In blessing I will bless you and in multiplying I will multiply your descendants like the stars of the heavens and like the sand on the seashore. And your Seed (Heir) will possess the gate of His enemies, [Heb. 6:13, 14; 11:12.] And in your Seed [Christ] shall all the nations of the earth be blessed and [by Him] bless themselves, because you have heard and obeyed My voice. [Gen. 12:2-3; 13:16; 22:18; 26:4; 28:14; Acts 3:25, 26; Gal. 3:16.] (Genesis 22:15-18 AMP)

I don't think Abraham could have possibly understood the magnitude of this promise that God had made him. He didn't even see a fraction of it fulfilled in his lifetime. But throughout the Bible, God continued fulfilling his promises to Abraham. And he was referred back to repeatedly as a man to be held in high esteem, who's example should be followed - countless years after he had lived.

There are many lessons to be taken from Abraham. The main one being his faith. Genesis says that Abraham believed God. He trusted in Him. Relied on Him. Remained steadfast to Him. Regardless of the doubtful circumstances. Incredible challenges and obstacles. Frightening uncertainty. Obeying. Even if it didn't make sense.

And God provided. He fulfilled every promise. He blessed him beyond imagination.


It's all about Grace... 
Marti-Mari x