Thursday 1 August 2013

the power of words

This post started out as something different altogether. Something a little less optimistic.

I am in a phase of my life where I often feel discouraged. Where - most of the time - life does not seem fair. Where things are not working out the way I had hoped.

When I am there - I tend to put a negative spin on things. I come up against a wall of bad news. Disappointments. Unanswered prayers. And no matter how hard I try to stay optimistic. To look on the bright side. To see some kind of silver lining or ray of light at the end of a dark tunnel... 
Some days, it is just really hard.

I find myself sinking into despair. Thoughts flashing in my mind - like a snake spitting venom. It stings. And like some trapped, scared little bird it flutters around anxiously. Agitated. Wreaking havoc. Threatening to spill out of my mouth in a string of dark words - once out, never to be taken back.

But it is then that I have to take care in what I do allow to come out of my mouth. It is during those times that we have to be really careful about what we say. 

I have been called out on it several times. I have been told to speak life. 

Only starting to realize the importance of what I say. The power of words. The damage they could cause.

As the saying goes - the pen is mightier than the sword. The same goes for the spoken word... So few people realize the consequences of what their words can do to themselves and others. Carelessly saying whatever they feel like. Whatever pops into their minds.


Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. James 1:19 NLT



(source unknown)


The Bible says that we hold the power of life and death in our words. 


A man’s [moral] self shall be filled with the fruit of his mouth; and with the consequence of his words he must be satisfied [whether good or evil]. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]. Proverbs 18:20-21 AMP


But the Word also acknowledges that we are not perfect and it is hard for us to always get it right.

For we all often stumble and fall and offend in many things. And if anyone does not offend in speech [never says the wrong things], he is a fully developed character and a perfect man, able to control his whole body and to curb his entire nature. James 3:2 AMP


Still - we should strive to have a positive outlook. To say uplifting things. To think before we speak. Because - the spoken word is so very powerful. Because - not only to ourselves, but also to others - it can make a world of difference. It could be a blessing. It could give grace. 


Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God’s favor) to those who hear it. Ephesians 4:29 AMP



originally written for the blog Space for Grace