Friday 15 March 2013

take the first step

In my last post I mentioned that I am reading The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer. Shortly after that post, I was reading a section in the book called Leaving a Godly legacy, in which she describes a scene from Deuteronomy in the Old Testament where Moses is trying to impress upon the Israelites the crucial decisions that they were faced with.

I thought that was a surprising coincidence after my recent post about Moses and the Israelites, when we struggle with doubt. But still, just a coincidence.

The very next day, I read that exact same scripture in Deuteronomy as part of my chronological Bible reading plan...

A little too much coincidence?

I think so. There must be a message in there for me...




Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster. For I command you this day to love the Lord your God and to keep his commands, decrees, and regulations by walking in his ways. If you do this, you will live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you and the land you are about to enter and occupy. Deuteronomy 30:15-16 NLT

It is simple, all we have to do is to choose life!

And we can make that choice simply by loving God, obeying Him and committing yourself firmly to Him.
Moses recons that is the key to life! (Deuteronomy 30:19-20)

We try to make it complicated and difficult, but the Bible says that it is not:

This command I am giving you today is not too difficult for you to understand, and it is not beyond your reach... No, the message is very close at hand; it is on your lips and in your heart so that you can obey it. Deuteronomy 30:11, 14 NLT

These scriptures have many warnings about turning away from God too.

In my experience, I have had phases in my life where I wandered off the path. When I didn't walk in His ways. And then I wonder why it is not going well for me. Why is it not working out? And I don't know how I am going to get back on track.

For a long time I have been holding on to a promise that God has given me a few years ago. And I couldn't understand why He was not delivering on this promise. But I stubbornly refused to notice the condition of this promise: 
When you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I will make sure that you won't be disappointed. Jeremiah 29:13-14 MSG

At first I chose to ignore this condition. Because, really, it was time that things started going my way for a change! Wasn't it? But nothing changed. So I went back to this scripture. And finally took note of the condition. After which it couldn't be ignored any longer. It is there. In black and white.

And I was discouraged, because it just sounded so hard. Impossible even! At that stage my brain couldn't fathom the enormity of wanting to find God more than anything else.

How do I do that? Why would God give me a promise that is impossible to reach?

After I was done ignoring it and being stubborn and discouraged. And after things have become a lot worse for me, I decided to just give it a go. Trying to find God - more than anything else. What harm could it do?

The answer to these questions is: Just take the first step! It is not impossible. In fact, once you have started, it becomes easier. Until you don't want to stop. And you start to need it. More than anything else!

God says that if you return to Him and obey His commands with all your heart and all your soul (condition), He will restore your fortunes, He will have mercy on you and make you prosperous (promise). (Deuteronomy 30:2-5)

We just have to take the first step! God will even help us do it: The Lord your God will change your heart... so that you will love him with all your heart and soul and so you may live! Deuteronomy 30:6 NLT

The promise is this:

The Lord your God will then make you successful in everything you do... the Lord will again delight in being good to you... The Lord your God will delight in you if you obey his voice and keep the commands and decrees written in this Book of Instruction, and if you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and soul. Deuteronomy 30:9-10 NLT

So (at the risk of quoting Nike) just do it! Just take the first step.