Sunday 24 March 2013

a journey of faith

I used to think that being a Christian meant acknowledging it. Going to church once in a while, reading the Bible when there was time (which wasn't all that often) and praying to God if I needed something.

I suppose in the very basic sense, it could be. During the Old Testament times, I would probably have been in trouble! But now, after Christ, all we have to do is believe.

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:9-10, 13 NLT

But it is so much more than that.

It is a lifestyle. A life changing, mind altering one. 

It is also a journey. A process. One that, once started, is practically impossible to stop.

And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ right up to the time of His return, developing that good work and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you. Philippians 1:6 AMP




I used to think that people who quoted scripture, went to church religiously and lived by faith, leaned a bit to the fanatical side. Don't get me wrong, I have always been in awe of people like that. But I thought that they were called. They were somehow different than me, chosen perhaps. And maybe they are. But it is also a conscious choice.

God gives some of us many chances. I guess there are many people who never take them. I have had many. And I didn't take most of them. Until finally I did. If you are anything as stubborn as me, you might need a bit of a shove in the right direction.

I have always been a Christian. But - I now know, for most of my life so far - in the very basic sense of the word. At some point in my life, it might have been more of a notion for my own peace of mind, than anything else.

Then at some stage I started looking to find a church where I might feel at home. I probably didn't search hard enough - it was a convenient excuse that I didn't want to go alone - but I never did find that church. Until I met my husband.

I started going to church regularly with him. And I realised that I did have to make more of an effort. But it wasn't until after we were married, that I really did.

I always wanted to read through the Bible. I tried a couple of times, but always gave up. Mostly because I wasn't committed enough. And then last year I joined our church ladies mentoring group and one of our activities for the year was to read through the Bible. So I finally did! From cover to cover.

And plan on doing it again. And again. Over and over. It really does become like breathing. You start to need it. And every time you read it, you discover something new. God speaks into your life that way.

In the process I learned to live in accountable relationships, to pray more often, to listen to worship music and go to church because I need it. To surround myself with Him dailyAnd to live by faith. More and more. It really does change your life.

As you know, I started this blog because I wasn't much good at keeping a personal spiritual journal. But writing here actually motivated me to start with a personal journal of my own too recently, which I don't yet do every day. But I do it when I feel God speaking to me through the Word. It actually happens more often than I would have thought.

How have I missed this before? How would you know what God is telling you if you don't read the Word?

Because what God is telling me, is actually relevant to where I am in my life right now.

And since I have started doing it, for the first time I really see the value in it. It is amazing how God can highlight the same message in different ways. But you only really start seeing the connection once you have it there in writing. Then there can be no coincidences or uncertainties.

I have stood in awe continuously by this affirmation. God leaves no doubt when He has a message for you. He gives you the tools to help you grow. In leaps and bounds.

Faith is a lifestyle. A way of life. And I wonder how I have ever lived without it.

My journey has only just begun.