Sunday 18 August 2013

called by name - part 1

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason every year as I am approaching yet another birthday, I find myself taking stock of my life. What I think I should have achieved in the year gone by. Where I should be in life. 

Comparing it to my reality. 

I suppose it is human nature to measure these things in material value. Compare yourself to others of similar age, background, education... To be honest - it can be extremely depressing. Demotivating. Disheartening.

So this year, as my birthday was drawing near towards the end of July, I found myself growing increasingly despondent. Feeling unhappy with my life. Another birthday - but still, in all appearances - in exactly the same place as the year before... And the year before...

Unfortunately for me - or maybe rather fortunately - God does not let you off the hook that easily. Sometimes He really has to make us uncomfortably aware of just how skewed we've had it.

And I have come to realize that this past year I have gained so much that can not be measured in material value. That is worth more than silver and gold (Psalm 119:72). Than money and luxury cars and expensive homes. 

During the week of my birthday I was blessed with such beautiful, inspiring scripture that spoke so directly to to me - right here in this place in my life - where I feel that I have fallen short of the world-that-we-live-in's standards. That it could only have been from a God who takes personal interest in us. In our heartaches and disappointments, our hopes and dreams. Even our feelings of insecurity and fear. 

A God who gives hope - when you feel that there is none. A God who cares enough to make you feel special on your birthday - in spite of your negative, ungrateful attitude. A God who loves you more than you would ever know.




















On the morning of my birthday, I opened my Bible to these words (Isaiah 48:12-13, 17 NLT) :

“I alone am God, the First and the Last.
It was my hand that laid the foundations of the earth,
my right hand spread out the heavens above.
When I call out the stars, they all appear in order.
This is what the Lord says
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is good for you
and leads you along the paths you should follow.”

At this point I am wondering why I am worried if God says that He - the Creator of ALL, the One to whom even the stars answer - says that He teaches me what is good for me and leads me along the paths that I should follow. Who am I to argue with that? Surely, then I am where I should be, right now in my life.

As I continue my reading, this is what I find (Isaiah 49:1-5 NLT):

The Lord called me before my birth;
from within the womb he called me by name.
He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand.
He said to me, “You are my servant,
and you will bring me glory.”
I replied, “But my work seems so useless!
I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose.
Yet I leave it in the Lord's hand;
I will trust God for my reward.”
And now the Lord speaks—
the one who formed me in my mother's womb
to be his servant, who commissioned me...
The Lord has honored me 
and my God has given me strength.
This is what the Lord says
“At just the right time, I will respond to you.
On the day of salvation I will help you.

How profound to be told by the living God - on the day of your birth - that He has called you before you were born. By name. That He has a calling and a purpose for your life. Before your life began, it was decided what your journey would be - by God Himself. Even though you may feel as if you have failed, as if there is no purpose to what you are doing. Just leave it in His hands. He will give you the strength that you need to fulfill His purposes for you.

In Jeremiah 1:5 (NLT) God says:

“I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb.
Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you...”

...for whatever His purpose, His calling for your life. He says that we should not argue and say that we are too (young, old, tired, busy, inadequate...) We must go wherever He sends us. Say whatever He tells us. And He will be with you. (Jeremiah 1:7-8)

The day before my birthday I read this passage in Isaiah (44:6,8; 46:3-4 NLT), reinforcing the timely message of the next day:

This is what the Lord says—
(your) King and Redeemer, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies: 
“I am the First and the Last; there is no other God. 
Do not tremble; do not be afraid. 
Did I not proclaim my purposes for you long ago? 
You are my witnesses—is there any other God? 
No! There is no other Rock—not one!”

“I have cared for you since you were born. 
Yes, I carried you before you were born. 
I will be your God throughout your lifetime— 
until your hair is white with age. 
I made you, and I will care for you. 
I will carry you along and save you.

What a beautiful promise. To know that God was with you even before you were born. That He made  you - exactly as you should be, precisely as He wanted you. With all your hangups and imperfections. Because God uses imperfect people for His perfect purpose. And He proclaimed His purposes for each of us long ago. He cares for each one of us - like He cares for every single star, making sure that not one is out of place, that not one is missing. He carries us throughout our lives, until old age. He is always there with you. Through everything. And He will never leave you. Never.


It's all about Grace... mx