Sunday 3 November 2013

all for Your glory, God

We don't always understand why "bad" or hard things happen to us. Why we have to go through setbacks. Disappointments. Challenging times.

I honestly don't.

Some of us just seem to have more than our fair share of these periods of difficulty thrown at us by life. I am definitely one of those people. Nothing seems to ever be straightforward. Or easy. Always a fight. Always a challenge.

I don't know if I make it more difficult than it needs to be... Unaccepting. Over analyzing. Offering excessive resistance. 

The question remains: Why does God allow it?

Struggling through an especially persistent phase of challenge, in my quest to determine it's purpose - I have come to a recent revelation: It is to show His glory.


I came across this video on Faithit.com this week and found it truly inspirational. One of the most amazing things is the human capacity to not only survive the difficulty through the grace of God, but in the process also experience supernatural spiritual growth - becoming an inspiration of faith and a living testimony to others.

In a devotional in Come Away my Beloved (Frances J. Roberts), the author states: "His joy springs forth most abundantly in souls that have been soaked in tears". In another, it says that through the tears that flow through us, God purges the self-life. He gives us His love. His power. So that we will no longer walk in our own way. But in His.

I can definitely say that God is walking a road - though a hard one - with me, in which I am learning to have compassion with others. To move away from my self centeredness. To learn thankfulness.

Two stories in the new testament, have recently drawn my attention:

In John 9:2-3 (NLT) Jesus's disciples ask, Rabbi, why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?” “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.And then Jesus healed him.

In another story in the gospel of John (11:1-44) the sisters Mary and Martha sent word to Jesus that their brother Lazarus was very sick. John goes on to say that even though Jesus knew this and loved them, he stayed where he was for another two days, saying to His disciples: “Lazarus’s sickness will not end in death. No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this.” (John 11:4 NLT). Only when He knew that Lazarus had died, He said: “Lazarus is dead. And for your sakes, I’m glad I wasn’t there, for now you will really believe. Come, let’s go see him.” (John 11:14-15 NLT). Jesus then went to the tomb where Lazarus was buried, commanded the people to roll aside the stone covering its entrance and looked up to heaven, saying: “Father, thank you for hearing me. You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.” Then Jesus shouted, “Lazarus, come out!” (John 11:41-43 NLT). And the dead man walked out of the tomb!

Jesus says that God always hears us. He does not always answer when or how we expect. He even allows the difficulty. The challenge. The anguish. But it is all the more powerful when he does step in. It is then that we really believe. It is then that we give Him the glory.

In Luke 22:31-32 (NLT) Jesus tells Simon: “Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you... that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.” 


It's all about Grace... mx