Sunday 16 June 2013

to be thankful...

Some days I find it really hard to be thankful. Oh, to live with a spirit of thankfulness...

Us humans seem to be incapable of ever having enough. To be content with what we have. Where we are. Who we are.

We always want more. And more.

Even those of us who have more than most. Still we want more. More, Lord.

We are blinded by the things that we still need. The things that we still want. The things that we still want to do.

We so often forget to notice that what we do have. And appreciate it. Be thankful for it.

The Word says that we should make thankfulness our sacrifice to God. To keep the vows that we have made to Him. That if we do, we can call on Him when we are in trouble. That He will rescue us. Give us His glory.

Giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors Him. That if we keep to His path, He will reveal to us the salvation of God. (Psalm 50:14-15, 23)
























But...

We forget to notice the beautiful sunrise. Waves crashing on the beach. 
We forget to see green fields rushing past car windows. Rain falling on the earth.
We forget to appreciate a wagging tail, an entusiastic bark. Welcome home!

We fail to smile, laugh out loud. Graciously accept where we are now.
We fail to bask in the presence of a loved one. Tomorrow may be too late.
We fail to remember the little things. Sentiment. Memories. Hope.

We take for granted a healthy body. To take care of it like we should.
We take for granted a new day, a new season. It might be our last.
We take for granted our families, friends. They are the ones that bless us most.

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered - how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best each of us is but a breath. We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing..." (Psalm 39:4-6 NLT)


We are reminded how short this life is. To make it count.

Psalm 73 (verse 23-24, 26) says: "Yet I still belong to you; You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; He is mine forever."

In the words of Ann Voskamp (one thousand gifts):


"Thanksgiving is inherent to a true salvation experience; thanksgiving is necessary to live the well, whole, fullest life."