Tuesday 4 June 2013

rain down on me - part 1

As I mentioned in my last post, we have recently been on a vacation to Europe. And although it was an experience of a lifetime - as with many things in life - it did not quite turn out as we had hoped or planned...

The first week of our long anticipated trip was packed with exciting sights and experiences - we hardly touched ground, making it our mission to see every sight and do every thing humanly possible in the time available to us.

The second week however, was the main reason for our trip. It has been in the pipeline for more than a year and was to be at a much slower pace. It involved a barge trip with my family on the canals of the French winelands of Burgundy - to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. We were hoping for good family bonding time, sunny spring weather, good food, good wine, maybe even a tan if we were lucky. As romantic as that sounds, unfortunately, we were not.

On top of icy cold weather (and an especially persistent sinus infection for me), the heavens opened up and poured down consistently for most of our week. We seem to have been somewhat over enthusiastic for the tourist season, that only starts in June, which meant that we found most of the shops and restaurants closed in the little French towns we visited. Before our very eyes, we saw the level of the water in the canals rising within days. 

As I had to spend most of my time inside the cabin of the boat, it felt as if I was missing out on the beautiful scenery and countryside. On an experience that I felt that I was owed somehow. At the time, I remember thinking, that it was just so typical of this phase of my life that I am in. Seemingly - a winter without end.





But, just to prove that God's thoughts are higher than my own (Isaiah 55:8-9), this was one of the first scriptures that I came across back home:

You take care of the earth and water it, making it rich and fertile. The river of God has plenty of water; it provides a bountiful harvest of grain, for you have ordered it so. You drench the plowed ground with rain, melting the clods and leveling the ridges. You soften the earth with showers and bless its abundant crops. You crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance. The grasslands of the wilderness become a lush pasture, and the hillsides blossom with joy. The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep, and the valleys are carpeted with grain. They all shout and sing for joy! Psalm 65:9-13 NLT

And just to prove the point once more - it is confirmed again as I am looking up the scripture for God's thoughts being higher than mine: 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain and snow come down from the heavens, and return not there again, but water the earth and make it bring forth and sprout, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void without producing any effect, useless, but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:8-11 AMP

Amazing, isn't it? If there is any doubt, God will confirm His Word again and again. Until we get the message.

And the message I am getting is this: 

Listen to the sound of the rain
That is the sound of My love
Hard times are never easy
But no winter lasts forever
After the rain comes spring
And then the summer is there
It brings new life, it brings growth
Listen to the sound of the rain...

Words that came to me during this weekend - as I was listening to the overwhelming force of the rain pouring down on corrugated roof sheeting.

Even though I may not want it. Even though I may not be prepared for it. Growth is not possible without rain. Life is not possible without it. As the earth needs it to reproduce and flourish, so do I.

God uses our rainy days to bring Him pleasure. To accomplish purpose. To prosper.

And winter is also just a season. It will not last forever. 
"No winter lasts forever; no spring skips it turn."